Thursday 23 August 2012

Posty Cards ~ New American Artists


I thought I should probably start posting some of my many Posty cards, as I have bombarded this blog with predominantly all my own scribbles, so far...
These three are from the first proper exhibition I visited in the summer before I started A level art. So naturally it has stuck in my memory, like a particularly sticky thing. It was held in the Bristol Museum and Art Gallery (one of my favourite places in bristol) and he title was Art from the new world: New American Artists.
 I could only afford to get three post cards, (they were particularly pricy posties!) So I chose my favourite piece (to the right), and the two that most intrigued me...


The Mia Araujo piece completely floored me! The tiny images woven into the main painting, are so incredibly detailed and beautiful in their own right and they completely draw you in to the story behind this woman, looking out to sea. Who is she? Who is she writing to? Is she waiting for someone?... and other pretentious questions! It affected me so much that I used her style as an inspiration in my my exam project in the first year. Although I will not inflict that atrocious page on you, dear interwebs, that would be too cruel!






The next two, as I say, intrigued me. Before this exhibition, I had never really ventured out side the confines of the conventional, syllabus set artists. Then to discover, that you could like THIS? Completely and utterly imagined, CrazyWakckyMadCap creatures and characters, with still life on their head, if you so wished! It's a beautiful, graceful painting,
with quite a large
helping of bonkers,
which I adore!

No comments:

Post a Comment